The Salvation Army invaded Winston-Salem in 1907. In April, Lieutenant L. Pay arrayed his forces on downtown street corners and the work began. In 1923, the Corps Building, known always as “the Citadel”, opened at 110 West Second Street. The building was dedicated on March 11, 1924 and would serve the Twin City for half a century. In the picture below, Commandant George Morris, his wife Matilda and children are seated on the steps. The Morrises both were born in England.
For an illustrated history, go to the Salvation Army website