The North Carolina Collection is located on the second floor of the Forsyth County Public Library’s Central Library at 660 W. Fifth St. in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. The North Carolina Room began in 1975 and with the reopening of the Central Library, we are now called the North Carolina Collection. Because we house many rare and out-of-print resources, genealogical manuscripts, and microfilm materials, we are a non-circulating (room use only) research collection.
Computers are available for online research on topics related to the North Carolina Collection and may be reserved up to a day in advance. Computer scanners are also available to convert microfilm and photographic images into digital files. A staff member will always be available to assist you with your research.
Our collection focuses on local history, genealogy, local travel and culture, North Carolina biography, literature and folklore, and state and local government. In addition to our print collection, we have archive and photograph collections. The North Carolina Collection also contains the Forsyth County Public Library’s bound periodicals.
Rules for Using the North Carolina Collection resources:
- Visitors are required to sign the register each day at the door.
- Materials cannot be borrowed or removed for any purpose from the North Carolina Collection.
- The archives and photograph collections areas are closed to the public. Materials may be viewed by request.
- No food or drink is allowed in the North Carolina Collection room. No exceptions.
- Notes must be taken with a pencil only when using collection materials. Pencils are provided for those who need one.
- Tape recorders, laptops, tablets, and cameras are allowed provided they do not disturb others using the room.
- Cell phone calls must be taken in the lobby, not inside the room.
The North Carolina Collection staff provides special research services for the public. We will locate obituaries and other newspaper articles by request, up to two per day, providing that the date of the event is supplied with the request.
Genealogy One-on-One Help
Staff can assist with general genealogy questions and assist with locating resources for genealogy research. Please call ahead for one-on-one genealogy assistance. Call 336-703-3070 to schedule an appointment.
Four research computers are available for genealogy, local and state history research, and government research. Computers may be reserved. General use computers are available in the Computer Lab on the first floor.
Digital Microfilm Readers & Book Scanner
Two digital microfilm readers are available for viewing microfilm. Articles may be copied for printing, downloaded to a flash drive or CD, or emailed. Printing costs are 15 cents per page.
One book scanner is available for scanning documents, photographs, and book pages.
Copyright restrictions apply to images being copied from microfilm or print. Visit the U. S. Copyright Office’s online FAQs for more information on what is covered under copyright.
North Carolina Collection Hours of Operation:
Monday – Thursday: 9 am – 8 pm
Friday: 9 am – 6 pm
Saturday: 10 am – 5 pm
Look around to learn more about what we have to offer!